Pondering the complexities of life.

Friday, May 11

Bad News...Good News...Worse News...

THE BAD NEWS:
I didn't get that job for which I had to travel to New York City. The local office sent them two candidates and New York chose the other one.

THE GOOD NEWS:
The local office still wants to hire me and has a similar position coming open on June 11. That position would not require having to travel to New York.

MORE BAD NEWS:
June 11 means one more month's worth of bills. I'm transferring $2000/month from savings to checking to pay my bills. I can't hold out much longer.

WORSE NEWS:
The job opening is for a 3-month consultant position which may...or may NOT...become permanent. Yes, it's better than nothing and I would probably take it if not offered a permanent job between now and then. However, it does defeat the whole purpose. I would not be able to move closer to Paul for a consulting job because I could not get a mortgage based on temporary employment. The job is located up in Paul's direction, meaning that I'd have an hour and ten minute drive each way to work. I'd still be living an hour away from Paul. The entire exercise would have only added to my location problems, rather than taking steps to improve them. And in three months, I'd be right back in my current predicament.

Note to Paul N: I will check out that website you suggested today. Right after I call the bank to juggle money around. I mailed out my monthly bills yesterday afternoon!

Thanks all!

5 Comments:

Blogger WordWhiz said...

Add to the list of incredibly stupid things I have done (or not done) which have landed me in this awful predicament: Not filing for unemployment sooner. Assuming that resigning voluntarily would make me ineligible to collect (it might) and thinking I'd find a new job quickly (since when did I get so confident??), I never looked into it. It took me (literally) three hours this morning and still have to have another interview in two weeks to determine whether or not I can collect. However, if I am qualified, I'd collect enough in unemployment to pay all my bills each month. My savings account, which was facing extinction within 2-3 months, would be rescued! I shoud know by the end of the month whether or not I will be able to collect. Otherwise, my savings will be gone and my retirment money will soon follow.

12:11 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

Wow! I didn't know that if you resigned, you could get unemployment either...I guess it's due to resigning in light of another job? That'd be great if you can get it!

I'd definitely take the temp job because you'll impress them with your awesomeness, and then they'll have to hire you. It might mean three months of driving a nightmare, but in the end I bet you'll get the position. Most companies don't want to retrain and retrain folks. If you can do the job AND they have the job to offer, I bet they'll hire you...

6:57 PM

 
Blogger ... said...

man, this situation sucks. I hope things get better for you soon, Whizzer!

Oh, and you are back on my blogroll. Don't make me have to take you off again!

10:13 PM

 
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Despite all, I want to wish you a Happy Mother's Day.

Paul N.

8:43 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

KIRA: I don't know that I CAN get unemployment, but with my financial situation growing increasingly urgent, I decided it was worth looking into...just in case.

TDG: Thanks! If I ever recover financially, I'll be taking another trip to Vegas. Loved it there!

PAUL: Thanks!

10:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home