Pondering the complexities of life.

Sunday, May 13

Happy Mother's Day

I like to do fun things with the kids for Mother's Day. After all, if not for them, I wouldn't be a mother! So today, my 13-year-old son, PacMan, my 19-year-old daughter, C, and I went to play Monster Golf.

In 2003, this glow-in-the-dark, montster-themed, indoor miniature golf course opened inside an old dilapidated mill building in town. I thought it was a great way to utilize the old building and the indoor putt-putt was lots of fun. Earlier this year, we learned that Monster Golf had moved to a new location about 30-minutes north of us. While looking for directions today, I happened to learn something about the history of this unique entertainment center.


The founders are a local couple from this area. The wife had owned an antique auction company. Wanting to get out of that line of work, she sold the business and looked for a new venture. She wanted to remain self-employed, but was looking for a business that was primarily self-serve, required very few employees to run and would be something different. She and her husband came up with the concept for Monster Golf. A year later, her husband quit his job and they created a corporation to franchise their unique miniture golf business. A handful of locations are currently up-and-running, and another dozen are scheduled to open this year. For about $250,000, you too can buy a franchise! They sell them as turn-key businesses, setting up the course in your location and training you to run it. You share in the marketing provided by the corporate headquarters, including the website. You also share your gross profits with the corporation - to the tune of 8%.


Why am I not creative enough to think of an idea like this?? Over the course of only 3-4 years, this couple has gone from running a local, indoor mini-golf in a tiny, rural town to being a corporation which has sold over a dozen franchises for a quarter-million dollars each. Wow!


I seem to have changed subjects. Back to Mother's Day: We had a great time. We never keep score; it's a lot more fun that way. Afterward, we went out for ice cream sundaes, then came home and watched a bad, supposed-to-be-a-comedy movie.


My oldest son, age 21 and in the army, phoned home tonight to wish me a happy mother's day. He was uncharacteristically talkative and we had a really nice chat.


Tomorrow I go from Monster Golf back to Monster.com, in my never-ending and unsucessful effort to find a new job. It's really getting to me; you can't begin to imagine. But Big Dave complimented me for staying cheery in the face of catastrophe, so I'll end this post while still on a positive note!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kira said...

No, I can imagine. If you read my blog lately, you know that my job status as of next year was uncertain. Additionally, what I didn't post, was that if I did not manage to keep that job OR find another one that paid over $25k a year, Alex would not be able to get his green card (I have to have enough money per the gov't idea of what it is to support him in case he can't get a job). So, I was not only facing losing a job but facing losing Alex. Today I found out that they DO have the money to rehire me....

It'll happen! It may be at the last minute, but I know it will. Hang in there! I'll keep praying for you :)

8:47 PM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

Yeah, I'd still stay cheery. The economy is turning around, the stock market is up . . . something big and good is brewing in your life. I just know it.

2:59 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

KIRA: Yes, I did read that in your blog, however obviously didn't know how serious it was. Congratulations!

BIG DAVE: I sure hope you're right. Had a bad day yesterday when I learned my dream house, located less than 10-minutes from Paul, had sold. I'd even taken my kids to see the house and had every intention of buying it when the bottom fell out of my world. I knew it would sell before I could recover from this misfortune, but knowing didn't keep the news from being devastating. It was the last thin thread of hope I had been clinging to.

9:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home