Pondering the complexities of life.

Thursday, July 6

"No problem"

My 18-year-old daughter needs to have two teeth pulled in advance of beginning her Invisalign treatment. I scheduled the appointment about three weeks ago. Thinking it best that she not drive herself home following the procedure, I asked my ex if he could take her. A college professor, he's off for the summer. I would need to take a day off work to take her myself. He agreed - "No problem."

He called this weekend to say, "Oops!" He'd scheduled an appliance repair appointment at the exact same time as our daughter's appointment to have the teeth extracted. He would be unable to take her.

I rarely ask my ex for a favor. You may consider driving his daughter to the oral surgeon more of a parental responsibility than a personal favor, but I'm quite certain that he doesn't view it that way. On the rare occasions when I do ask him to handle something of this nature for me, I always have a back-up plan. "Oops!" is not an uncommon occurrence.

Paul is off work this week, taking vacation time to get some work done around his house. He's taking my daughter to her appointment this morning. Paul lives nearly an hour away from us. The oral surgeon is located 20 miles from our house - another 30 minutes of driving in the opposite direction. Doing me this favor requires three hours of driving and a good chunk of the time he'd earmarked for his own to-do list. But when Paul says, "No problem," he means it.

-------------------------------
UPDATE:
My daughter survived her appointment with the oral surgeon. It was apparently easier than she had anticipated. She only took the Novocain - no laughing gas. They told her to use over-the-counter pain relievers as needed. The whole thing took less than an hour, including the paperwork. At the moment, her biggest concern seems to be facial swelling causing her to look like a chipmunk.

"It is more important to LOOK good than to FEEL good."

This saying is especially true when discussing teenaged girls!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

I guess that's why one is an ex and the other a potential WW.

10:48 AM

 
Blogger Old Horsetail Snake said...

Good ol' Paul. See, you deserved better -- and you got it.

3:14 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Peter & Hoss: You both got it exactly right!!

6:02 PM

 
Blogger kenju said...

Ice it down, girl!


Paul is definitely a keeper; we know why you got rid of her dad.

6:32 PM

 
Blogger ... said...

when I had my wisdom teeth out, as soon as they gave me the bag of ice, I just made a chin hole and stuck my entire lower jaw in the ice and kept it there until the novicaine wore off. My end result was mimium swelling. No chimpmunk face for me!

I know that doesn't help her now, but in the future it will!

10:09 AM

 
Blogger Kira said...

Oh, how familiar that set up is to me...the ex falling through and the current stepping up for me. Oh well. You know what? We were lucky to move on to bigger and better things! Some women are stuck thinking they deserve that sort of situation, but you and I are too smart for that :)

And for the record, I am VERY happy you are wise enough to take C. to the oral surgeon. Some people let their dentist do the extractions, and that is just not so good because they don't have the extra training that oral surgeons do to deal with such a proceedure. I know she'll be fine!

1:04 PM

 
Blogger bornfool said...

IYou've just illustrated the difference between a good man and a bad one.

"You look Mahvelous!"

3:46 PM

 
Blogger poopie said...

The ex sounds like a real "sweetheart"...You GO Paul!

3:58 PM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

I remember you getting a similar response from your ex when you asked him to do something for one of the kids. Getting him to do anything for you is like pulling teeth.

Gee, that sounds like something Hoss would say.

8:06 PM

 
Blogger Monique said...

Yikes! Unreliable people make me so MAD!

I had 4 molars pulled before getting braces. For some reason my current dentist found this very weird. The good news is that I had plenty of room for my wisdom teeth to grow in and never had to have them removed.

9:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home