Pondering the complexities of life.

Sunday, June 11

Sally


I went to see Sally last night. I don't typically go out on Saturday nights because my 12-year-old son is here on weekends. Earlier in the day, he said he wouldn't mind going with me. He's met and played with Sally. However, after dinner he really didn't feel like going out and said he'd rather stay home. I debated putting off the visit, but my son in his typically gracious and unselfish manner said, "But what if she doesn't live until tomorrow? You'll feel sad if you don't get to see her." (Have I mentioned lately what really GREAT kids I have??) So he stayed here with his 18-year-old sister and I drove to see Sally for a couple of hours. She looked awful. While she didn't appear to be in any pain, she seemed unbelievably weak. Even lifting her head off the ground caused her to pant. She drank some water, but had to stop and rest after every few laps. At one point, I think she nearly fell asleep in the water bowl.

I called Paul after church this morning. Sally died around 2AM this morning. She just didn't have any more energy to fight back against the disease.

9 Comments:

Blogger ... said...

She looked like a great dog. Tell Paul I'm sorry for his loss.

3:26 PM

 
Blogger bornfool said...

I'm so sorry. I used to have a dog that looked just like her.

3:50 PM

 
Blogger poopie said...

I'm so sorry girl. Losing a pet is like losing a family member. It tears me up every time.

4:26 PM

 
Blogger kenju said...

Poor Paul. I know that will be hard to take. My condolences to you both.

8:57 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

Awww....that's awful! I'm so sorry that the virtuous dog has lost her fight against lyme disease. I know this has to be hard on all of you. Animals become part of the family and are so missed when they are gone. I hope Paul is holding up all right!

6:26 AM

 
Blogger Peter said...

Sorry to hear Sally has passed WW, your wise 12 YO son was right, you would have regretted not going.

8:10 AM

 
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Sorry, WW. Yes, you do have great kids. A 12-year-old with that kind of compassion is a treasure.

10:00 AM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

"But what if she doesn't live..." Geez, PSP.

Very sorry, Whizzer.

11:39 AM

 
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

poor sally.
my condolences...
LBC

1:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home