Pondering the complexities of life.

Wednesday, September 5

Now they tell me!

Last night I was cutting up peppers and onions, helping Paul prepare a dinner of chicken frajitas. Discovering he didn't have enough tostadas, I offered to drive the short distance to the Walmart to get some more. While driving there, I rubbed an itchy nose. Suddenly, my nose was on fire! My left hand was also burning. I had some water in the car, but no amount of rinsing seemed to help. Back at Paul's house, I washed my hands over and over - probably 10 times. I removed my ring, which seemed to be concentrating the irritation.

This morning, I Googled hot peppers and skin irritation. This is what I found:

Hot peppers can cause severe skin irritation. Wear rubber or plastic gloves while handling and preparing them. Keep the peppers and anything that touches themaway from the face and eyes. Even the steam from cooking potently hot peppers can irritate the skin. Capsaicin is an irritating compound that gives the peppers their pungent odor and causes the skin irritation that is commonly associated with the processing or consumption of hot peppers. The severity of the irritation depends on how much capsaicin is actually in the pepper and how long it is in contact with the skin. Symptoms that are common with hot pepper exposures include burning pain, redness, and irritation of the skin. Blistering is not common but can occur after prolonged exposure to capsaicin. The West Virginia Poison Center recommends several treatments for hot pepper irritation. Some works better than others. Individuals should wash their hands well with water and soap. Washing in alcohol is recommended as the capsaicin resin is more easily dissolved by alcohol. It is recommended that you wash your hands with soap and warm water again. The most effective treatment seems to be the soaking of the affected area in chilled vegetable oil for at least one hour. Relief is not accomplished by just applying the oil to the affected area; it must be completely immersed in the chilled vegetable oil. Soaking the affected area in a solution of half vinegar-half water for 30 minutes is also recommended. The chilled vegetable oil treatments seems to be the most effective. The best treatment is prevention--wear gloves.

NO MORE HOT PEPPERS FOR ME!!

6 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Good advice! I love to eat hot peppers, but I don't usually cook with them - I eat them raw.

9:40 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

EEK!

5:21 AM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Peppers seem to affect people differently. I can cut up jalapenos all day long, bare-handed, and not get any itching or rash. You are just unlucky!

5:12 PM

 
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Well, you can still eat them and cook with them, just don't try to put contact lenses in after handling them. I did once. That wasn't good.

8:42 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

FW: OMG, I can hardly imagine how painful! EGADS!!

11:20 PM

 
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Gee, now you tell me, too. After 30 years in the desert and a lifetime of raw peppers and jalapenas and stuff... You don't hear of many Mexicans with colon cancer. You're just not used to them, I guess.

By the way, they're fajitas, not spelled with an "r."

You like color? Stop by, m'delite.

9:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home