Pondering the complexities of life.

Wednesday, October 19

Advance Planning: A Worthless Exercise?

I don't like to use my blog to vent, but in this case, I'm making an exception. Copious amounts of venting are required to keep all this trapped steam from causing a major explosion!!

I will admit to being a little anal about planning my activities way in advance. My 2006 vacations have been booked for months. I have notations all over my calendar and I make follow-up phone calls and send email reminders to other people involved. While I may pay my bills whenever I find some spare time, my social events are carefully scheduled down to the most minute detail. Such is the life of this "party girl".

So...when Paul and I planned our Halloween party last month, I immediately contacted my ex to see if he could keep our 12-year-old son, PM, that night. Last year, as well as in most previous years, my ex has thrown a Halloween party of his own and he likes for PM to be at the party. Ex responded that he was combining party-hosting efforts with a couple friends and frequent guests of his traditional Halloween party and that the event was being held at their house this year. However, he still intended to take our son with him. Over the past few weeks, PM has spoken about the Halloween party with excitement.

Because I have experienced more than one occasion of my ex backing out of arrangements like this at the last minute, I sent him an email, purportedly to arrange the time of day I'd be dropping PM off next Saturday. His response?

Isn't [our 18-year-old daughter] going to be home if I can't take [PM]? Most likely I can still take him, but I never said I definitely would. I never make definite plans until 2-3 days in advance of anything, because I never know when I might have a date.

Owing to the fact that my ex is probably the single most self-centered individual I have ever known, this was not exactly a huge surprise. In fact, it's the reason I sent the email to begin with. I didn't want this dropped on me when it was too late to do anything about it. I was trying to force his hand.

I replied:

And naturally everyone else - [our son, our daughter,] me - should live our lives in limbo, controlled by the fleeting fancy of your social life. [PM] thinks he's going to the party with you. He's talked about it. But hell...a date is infinitely more important than whether or not [PM] might be disappointed. I totally understand.

Fuck you! Decide...TODAY.

If you're not taking [PM], I need to make other arrangements and I will NOT impose on someone last minute. Unlike you, I'm a little more considerate than that. I want to make arrangements as soon as possible, so I need to know BY TOMORROW!! If I don't hear from you by then, I'll assume I need to make an alternate plan. YOU can explain to [PM] why you're not taking him.
He didn't respond to my work email because the company filter would have bounced the message. I can spew forth obscenities from work, but I cannot receive them, not even if they are merely my own words tagging onto the end of a reply. He simply sent a note telling me to check my email at home and expressing that he was certain that Paul would not like the "real" me if he were to glimpse a peek. Those of you who know me are aware of how frequently I use obscenities! HA! I immediately forwarded the entire email exchange to Paul, while shaking with anger and looking for someplace to vent (before it occurred to me to vent here). I'll let you know how he feels about the "real me" in an upcoming post.

Guys...ever wonder why women often produce that exasperated growling sound, followed by the expletive, "MEN!" THIS is a prime example!

8 Comments:

Blogger Foilwoman said...

Look on the bright side. You divorce the son-of-a-bitch, right? You could still be living with him. Things are definitely on an improving trend.

I apologize for swearing, but I needed to use a reasonably accurate description of your useless (no capital U for him) ex.

2:26 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

FW: No apologies necessary! And you're right. My daughter and I are "treated" to frequent reminders of how lucky we are not to be living with him. Contrary to what you may think, this isn't some method of punishing me for having a more positive social life that he does right now. He has ALWAYS expected others to adjust their lives according to his moods and whims. We could NEVER make definite plans...EVER. We always had to wait to see how he might feel THAT DAY. THANK GOD he has the ability to control us like that only OCCASSIONALLY now!

2:43 PM

 
Blogger bornfool said...

My step-kids' father has done the same things to his kids their whole loves. He either makes a promise while he's drunk that he forgets when he is sober, or vice versa.
Your explitive producing tirade is justifiable, just this once. :)

3:10 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Thanks, BF. I still owe you an email. Sorry for the delay.

3:32 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

Yes, I can testify that you rarely curse, and when you do it's because the situation definitely warranted it.

It brought me shivering reminders of my ex. He still will not plan out more than an hour or two ahead. I always had to plan for us; when he insisted he would take care of it, we ended up doing things like spending three hours driving all around the city we were at looking for a hotel because "we sure don't need reservations" (that happened twice). I, however, need to plan. Ask Alex how he receives itineraries for some of our trips...haha!

I'm sure Paul understands exactly why you are upset and has laughed (as I laughed) at the line about how Paul would then react knowing about the "real" you. I remember once my ex told me that Alex would be shocked when he realized how much of a bitch I am. I grinned. "He knows, and he loves that part of me...because he's considerate of ME and he also knows he doesn't get to be the RECIPIENT of said bitchiness! He gets a kick out of me putting folks in their place when they deserve it." The ex had no response.

My maiden name is German. Germans VILL plan, and all on my dad's side DO! I'm with you on the planning there! The worst part is not that it inconveniences YOU but that your poor son has been TOLD he would do this activity...what IS he going to do, yank it away from the boy? That's just awful. You can't do that to a child...sigh.

OH! I almost forgot the flirting part!

Mandy dear, if I had a hottie like you on my arm, my hand would be just where Paul's was in that picture too!

(does that count? do you forgive me? haha!)

3:40 PM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

Typical behavior for an ex, probably jealous that his former spouse has found someone new. They still want some control and do it by hurting kids.

I remember hearing a divorcee complain to a state representative about her own ex's failure to show up for visitation. But as the politician said, "You can't legislate morality."

And you can't really pick your ex's.

7:37 PM

 
Blogger Monique said...

Just be thankful you don't have to deal with him on a daily basis! What a rotten way to disappoint his kids.

I'm a planner too. We booked our upcoming March 2006 cruise back in December 2004!

10:03 PM

 
Blogger Peter said...

I was going to comment as "Petra" until I saw that Big Dave had ventured into the fray before me.
You will be pleased to hear, (you may not believe) that all exs are not like this!!!!
Must share with you Word verification, ohens.

1:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home