Pondering the complexities of life.

Friday, October 14

No contest

Paul's son took his last college final of the tri-mester today. He told his Dad he wanted to kick back tonight and that they'd be drinking and playing pool. He said he was setting up shot glasses on the pool table.

I called Paul about 30 minutes ago and there had clearly been some drunken father/son bonding! I've never known Paul to be so out of it. He kept repeating himself or trailing off into silence. I said, "Do you want me to hang up so you can go lie down?" He said, "Only if you want to. I can hang out here a while." Then he added, "but I'm having trouble answering your questions." I kept asking questions because he'd otherwise go silent. I was afraid he was passing out! The questions were things like: "What are you doing? Are you having fun? Who won the pool match? ARE YOU STILL THERE??" Not exactly mind benders. I told him I was going to hang up and that he should go to bed and we'd just talk tomorrow. He agreed that was probably best. He also confirmed that it was unlikely he'd recall this evening's phone conversation tomorrow!

Poor guy...
A 48-year-old man should know better than to drink with a 20-year-old college student!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kira said...

Haha! Oh, poor Paul! You should run over with the Excedrin and a nice glass of water this AM. At least, when I have a hangover, I LOVE Excedrin. If he can keep it down after all that, at least...haha!

8:13 AM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

Hmmmm, I've seen too many bad experiences from alcohol in my lifetime to do that with my sons. Just give me one frosty cold one and I'm fine.

Hea, Word Whiz. Wanted to apologize for the unfortunate juxtapostion of spam and your tag request. Never even crossed my mind. My blogs are usually planned and sometimes written days in advance. So it was serendipity. Or something like that.

10:02 AM

 
Blogger Monique said...

Haha, that was probably one hilarious conversation!

10:58 AM

 
Blogger mcgibfried said...

the older my dad gets, the more fun it is to try and get him drunk!

11:12 AM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

After hanging up, Paul revisited that old college tradition: worshipping the porcelain bowl. He said he had not upchucked in 20 years! Poor guy... He agreed it wasn't a wise move to try drinking with the college boys! He kept his date to go out to breakfast with his parents early this morning. I bet that wasn't a very appetizing meal! Ewww...

And Dave...I was only teasing. I don't actually think you base your posts on ME!! I just like to kid you.

Monique: Glad you liked Paul's posts!

11:14 AM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

McG: Ha! Ha! Someday, the McBaby will be drinking YOU under the table!!

11:15 AM

 
Blogger poopie said...

I love to drink beer with my 21 year old daughter...doesn't get much better than drinking and bonding!

1:10 PM

 
Blogger vbkim said...

My pop could drink me under the table (am I ashamed, am I proud, I'll decide later)

1:54 PM

 
Blogger Paige said...

*Gasp!* Contributing to the delinquency? Bad Dad! Wait a year :-) Maybe he'll be more tolerant in a year anyway! :-)

8:28 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Paige: You forget, in the OLD days, LEGAL was 18! Old enough to vote, old enough to die for your country, old enough to drink...

Uh oh...my daughter turned 18 TODAY!!

12:04 AM

 
Blogger Mona said...

That is GREAT! Bonding is so worth the hangover :)

10:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home