Pondering the complexities of life.

Sunday, October 9

Sports Quotes

And maybe this is why I don't follow sports??

"I wan'all dem kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I wan' all the kids to copulate me."
Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson on being a role model

"I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."
New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season

"I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl."
Joe Jacobi of the Redskins

"To win, I'd run over Joe's Mom, too."
Matt Millen of the Raiders after hearing Joe ."

"He treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings."
Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann, 1996

"I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes."
Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh

"You guys line up alphabetically by height. You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

"That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes."
Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker

"He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is."
Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regime of heavyweight Andrew Golota

"My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt."
Chuck Nevitt, North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice

"I told him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, "Coach, I don't know and I don't care."
Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player


...and the only one that's actually intelligent:

"Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton ."
Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson hooking up again with promoter Don King

--------------------------------------------------

Well, the big meeting took place! Paul and I took my 12-year-old son to the movies and out for pizza yesterday. In a completely unsolicited comment last night, my son proclaimed that he'd had a really good day. The guys seemed to get along well and my youngest said he did not feel uncomfortable with his mother having a boyfriend. All-in-all, it could not have gone more smoothly!! YAY!


9 Comments:

Blogger Big Dave T said...

Those are good. But politicians do as good if not better, and many of them attended Ivy League schools. Just be fair.

12:55 PM

 
Blogger bornfool said...

I liked the "I don't know and I don't care" one. LOL.

12:59 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Big Dave: Yeah, but we don't expect much from politicians. We all know they only attended those ivy league schools (admission purchased by their rich and influential families) to dodge the draft, right??

BornFool: That was my favorite one too! It was actually quite clever!

1:11 PM

 
Blogger kenju said...

Thanks for the laughs. Copulate me? Teehee, it is so sad, but funny too.

2:53 PM

 
Blogger vbkim said...

As a mom of little men, doesn't that make you nervous? I don't know what I would do! They look up to those guys!

Also, congrats on the giant step forward in the relationship. :)

3:00 PM

 
Blogger Monique said...

Congrats on the big step! Glad the meeting went so well.

6:36 PM

 
Blogger mcgibfried said...

these are MY people!

6:45 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

Wow, scary! I'm glad the people in my family tend to watch sports rather than play them! haha!

Just got back from Columbia. I owe you an email! I hate leaving him behind...sigh...well, you know how it is...

10:08 PM

 
Blogger Peter said...

I'm sure Norman Einsein would share your views.

2:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home