Pondering the complexities of life.

Tuesday, October 25

Domestic Tranquility

Paul and I went shopping for dishwashers tonight and I think we've narrowed the field to a particular Whirlpool model. Now we just need to do some more price comparisons at different appliance stores. Best Buy says that they'll match any competitor's price, less 10%.

Lest you suspect that this was all a very domestic, let's-pretend-we-share-the-same-kitchen activity, we probably spent as much or MORE time looking at big screen TV sets. I'm not sure if Paul lusts more for me or that 50' plasma screen. The look he gets on his face when he's standing in front of one of those huge TVs (with the image that is equally sharp from every angle) seems eerily familiar.

Kira...can you relate? I'm quite sure Alex would find a 50" plasma to be a quite respectable set. Personally, I think the price is more along the lines of what a person should pay for a used car, not a television set. Then again, I rarely watch TV and when I do it's on my 13" TV/VCR combo set. It's the only television in our house. Alright, I'll admit it can be a little embarrassing once in a while. I have this big electronics armoire and inside is this tiny little TV. But a bigger TV is just not high on my list of ways to spend my money. And a 50" plasma TV?? That's like three week-long cruises on Carnival!!!

13 Comments:

Blogger Kira said...

That is TOTALLY a TV that Alex could respect! I'm with you on preferring the three cruises, however. I never watch TV. When I define "never," I can honestly say that in the last YEAR I have only turned on my TV to use it to see a dvd or use my ps2, save for maybe two basketball games during March Madness. I don't have cable. My screen staring time goes to the computer.

However, I know better than to mumble the blaspheming words of, "But it's JUST a TV!" around Alex. 50" plasma TV? Oh yeah, that'd also be called heaven to him!

6:08 AM

 
Blogger bornfool said...

I want to get one and mount it in the ceiling in the bedroom.

9:10 AM

 
Blogger TD said...

Plasma T.V.'s are an on ramp to the happiness highway. You should blow off all other appliances and get one right away. It's football season for godsake!

10:11 AM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

Bigger is better, especially when it comes to TVs. That comes from Big Dave here. Who knows. Maybe once you see what football looks like on a 50-inch plasma screen, you might actually take an interest in the game. It's very pretty to watch that way.

12:11 PM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Yeah, me too. I DO have 27" (no, not THAT kind of inches), so you a piker compared to me. And compared to a 50-incher, you might as well be wearing your TV around your wrist.

2:27 PM

 
Blogger kenju said...

They're going to have to put much better programming on TV before I would spend that much on a new set!

4:21 PM

 
Blogger poopie said...

My present car cost the same as my first house. What the heck is goin' ON here??

6:04 PM

 
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I found a box of eye-candy for you. I thought of you immediately when I saw this site this evening.
http://squelchie325.blogspot.com/2005/10/monday-funny.html

Her page loads in a couple of stages, so you'll have to wait a few seconds, then scroll just a little bit.

See what a nice person I am. Always thinking of my friends.

Enjoy.

10:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch out Whiz! Between oggling a plasma TV and that new car he craves, you've got a lot of fierce competition!
Unless of course you can go from 0-60 in 5.8 seconds and look good from any angle!

10:59 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Kira: Agreed.

BF: For some reason, that sounds kinky.

Bandit: And football is always shown in "High Def"!!

Big Dave: Size isn't everthing...

Hoss: 27"??? EGADS!! Oh...the TV. Right...

Kenju: I'm with you!!

Poopie: And gas! It cost me over $600 to fill my propane tank this week. I clearly remember when that was about 2 months worth of rent!

Paul: WOW! You truly are a GREAT friend. That post was SO ME!!

Real Me: You are so clever. I'm going to have to find a way to steal and use that line! GREAT!!

RJ: How about ME on a 50-foot screen??

6:31 AM

 
Blogger Monique said...

I can one-up the 50" TV, or at least my parents can. They just built a house with a bonus room and have turned the bonus room into a movie theater. We were just over there for the first time last weekend, and WOW. 110" screen mounted on the wall, a projector mounted from the ceiling, surround sound -- we watched Finding Nemo (with the kids, you know) and during the scary parts we could actually feel the room vibrating. Again, wow! I'm taking all my DVDs to their place. No sense in watching them on my little 27" TV. I think I just got spoiled forever.

1:28 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Monique: Forgive me if I don't pass that idea along to Paul!!

3:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steal it, but I want you to document and reference the direct quote and give full credit where credit is due.


hahahahha
Nightmare in term paper writing!

Use me when you want, chica!

9:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home