Pondering the complexities of life.

Sunday, October 23

Remodeling

Back in January, I took out a home equity loan with the idea of redoing my kitchen. When I bought my little fixer-upper, I'd decided that I could tolerate the old, dark kitchen cabinets, which featured huge hardware that looked like door knockers for some Medieval castle - at least temporarily. But once I'd replaced the floors, stripped the wallpaper and painted, those cabinets took on a tauntingly hideous appearance! Since my house had gone up significantly in value, I decided not to wait until I could save up for new cabinets, but rather to simply take on some more debt in order to have exactly what I wanted RIGHT NOW! (It's the American way!!)

I set up the equity line, but didn't use it right away. Although it may not seem "frugal" to be borrowing against a home 18 months after moving into it, I am actually fairly tight with money. Some people call me "cheap". I suppose they could mean that in another way, but I don't think so. Doing some research, I determined that Home Depot had by far the least expensive cabinets. (For the record, I'm told Lowes has good prices too, but I don't have one close by.) I ordered the cabinets in late March. Around that time, a friend mentioned that her family was having some financial trouble. Her husband works in construction and business can be slow during the winter months in New England. I decided to help out by hiring her husband to install my new cabinets. In late April, the cabinets delivered and I waited for my friend's husband to find an opening in his now very busy spring schedule. The cabinets have been living in my basement for six months.

When I designed new kitchen, I REALLY wanted to squeeze in a dishwasher, without having to move the gas line or do any major plumbing work. Try as I might, I could find no way to fit in a dishwasher, so I ordered the cabinets based on a dishwasher-free kitchen design. Over the past six months, I have asked people who came to visit if they could see any way to fit in a dishwasher, figuring I still had time to change plans. No one came up with anything that didn't require reworking the plumbing or gas line. CRAP! Then my Prince Charming came along and said, "I bet if you put in a single bowl sink instead of a double bowl sink, you could fit a dishwasher between the sink and the stove." A narrower sink? Why hadn't anyone ever thought of this before? We measured. It seemed like it would work, but it also seemed too simple a solution to have alluded everyone for six months. I took my plan back to Home Depot today to consult the experts. Sure enough, a dishwasher will JUST fit with a narrower sink. Because I've held the cabinets for more than 90 days, I'm stuck with the ones I already purchased. I eliminated a three-drawer unit that would have gone where there will now be a dishwasher. I had to buy wider wall cabinet to go over the dishwasher. I had to buy a narrower sink base - the hero of the new plan. And I had a six inch space to fill where I'll put a set of spice drawers. Having given up on the original installer, my neighbor began work on this project on Saturday and installed the cabinets along the back wall. He'll finish the installation when I get all the other pieces in - probably in about two weeks. Within the base units in the already-installed section is a wine bottle cubby. It was one of the few "fancy" cabinets I splurged on when I created the original design. I'm not exactly a wine connoisseur, but I thought it would make me look classy to have little cubbies of wine bottles in my kitchen. Too bad that piece is already installed. I could have used it in that six inch space next to the sink. It would have saved me having to buy the $300 spice drawer filler!! Oh well...I'm getting a dishwasher! It's worth whatever money I had to waste to squeeze it in there!!

Some of those same people who have called me cheap have also questioned my sense of style. I really wanted the kitchen to be red and white. Red is my favorite color. I bought white cabinets. The wainscoting is white, the upper walls are beige. I have some vintage Coca Cola signs hanging on the cabinet-free wall. My curtains are red and white checked. Three guesses what color countertops I ordered. The original kitchen designer I worked with tried to talk me out of it. I didn't budge. Someday, when I sell this house, some potential buyer is going to walk into my kitchen and say, "Red counters???" Who cares!! It's me!!

I'll post photos when the work is done!

5 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

The pic looks great. I might balk at red countertops too, but if it is what you want - so be it!

1:22 AM

 
Blogger Kira said...

Although I'd never pick out red countertops on my own, I think red's a way smarter color than white to have for counters. Every person I have known who has insisted on having an all-white kitchen and insisted further that it would NOT be more difficult to clean up or keep clean has later on told me...well, never mind, it's hard to keep clean. At least a red countertop won't be as hard to maintain!

I'd do just about anything to keep a dishwasher, too. I didn't have a dishwasher for a few years, and I decided that no matter what sacrifices had to be made in the future, a dishwasher would never be an item I lived without after that point. I love having a double sink, but I'd rather have a dishwasher. NO contest.

A coca-cola theme can be cute in a kitchen. A lady I pet-sat for years ago had one, and it was rather darling.

My kitchen is miniscule right now due to living in an apartment. I can't see that changing any day soon, but I tell ya--I sure do dream! I certainly have a dream kitchen in my mind for ONE day!

3:05 AM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Kenju: The photo is just an image stolen off Google. My kitchen is not photo-ready yet!

Kira: Thanks. I updated the Vegas site and mentioned you there.

6:33 AM

 
Blogger Monique said...

I'd much rather have a dishwasher than a double sink too! Red isn't so bad, especially when you factor in the Coca Cola theme. It sounds cute!

We have pink-ish counters in our kitchen. I've always hated them. Then earlier this year we finally paintedthe kitchen. I chose a cranberry-ish kind of color and suddenly everything looks coordinated and the pink counters look great! I can't believe it only took me 9 years to figure that out.

11:07 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Great choices! I just finished getting my white cabinets with red knobs installed :) Instant room brightener. But can't say I was ballsy enough for a red countertop! I have this feeling it will look great though!

6:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home