Pondering the complexities of life.

Thursday, October 20

"Home James"

While I rarely gamble, I did break down and purchase two Powerball tickets yesterday, hoping to be the lucky winner of the historically high $340 million jackpot. Paul and I went out to dinner last night and mentally spent our lottery millions. Oh admit it, you've done it too! We hired a limo driver named James. (I've always wanted to be able to say, "Home James" to an actual limo driver.) I insisted on a British butler named Jeeves, but firmly vetoed the hiring of a little French maid. Paul, who sides with Alex about the necessity of owning a "respectable" television, debated which plasma screen TV would be adequate, finally deciding that we should just have a movie theater built onto the back of our dream house. Naturally, Paul would buy that blue Corvette and perhaps a Lexus SUV to drive in the bad weather. (Because he wouldn't want to travel by limo ALL the time.) We planned a romantic, tropical, month-long get-away to an imaginary exclusive resort, where we'd have the beach all to ourselves (except for the attentive staff who would anxiously cater to our every whim).

I didn't match even ONE number on either of the two tickets.

No James. No Jeeves. No Corvette, Lexus, limo or personal movie theater. No month-long romantic vacation. I'm still working for a paycheck and wishing for the weekend. Boy, did my standard of living take a nose dive in the space of 12 hours!!

I'm assuming that Hoss, my ONLY friend in the state of Oregon, did not make his pile off the lottery, so I can't even claim to KNOW a millionaire.

I left Paul a message early this morning, letting him know we were NOT rich and he'd better go ahead to work today. He called me back while I was driving to my office and said, "You can't buy love. We didn't need the money." Awww… I'd take him over $340 million in a heartbeat!! What a guy! I'm a whole lot luckier than that ticket-holder in Oregon.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kira said...

I'm totally certain that Alex could respect a movie theatre! Haha!

I bought a ticket but I have not checked the numbers. Ari had never seen me buy one before now. I usually don't. She asked me why I bought just one...I told her that if I were meant to win, I'd win with one just as quickly as I'd win with 20!

I'm with Paul on the love over money thing. Besides, $340 mil is actually SCARY. I'd be worried that much money would turn me into a shit. Why did I enter, then? Well, I was kinda hoping for a nice, smaller amount that would tide us over! haha!

11:22 AM

 
Blogger Paige said...

AHHHHH! He is so cute!

12:40 PM

 
Blogger Old Horsetail Snake said...

I'm already feeling sorry for the winner. You see, I am now one of his/her relatives.

1:07 PM

 
Blogger Peter said...

Chocolates to boiled lollies in 12 hours, never mind you had a good time just dreaming.

5:55 PM

 
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Lemme invite you and you friend over to Pancake Flats to read about a Corvette.

8:06 PM

 
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

...your friend. Sorry.

8:07 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

KIRA: You're right - it is scary. In retrospect, it's probably better we didn't win. A lesser amount would have been nice though!

PAIGE: Yeah, aint he though?

HOSS: One of them "crawling out of the woodwork" type relatives, you mean??

PAUL: Exciting story!! Thanks for the personal invite. I got to be the first commenter!!

9:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me think of the Barenaked Ladies' song "If I Had A Million Dollars..."

9:15 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

...I'd buy a fur coat, but not a real fur coat, 'cause that'd be cruel! Haha! I like the Barenaked Ladies.

9:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home