Pondering the complexities of life.

Sunday, March 19

SPRING???

Tomorrow, according to the calendar, is the first day of Spring. For those of you who live in the northeast, like me, that anxiously-awaited season won't actually hit for another 4-6 weeks. Mother Nature likes to tease us with the occasional warm day, which is quickly followed by a passing snow squall, just to remind us that winter isn't going to retreat so easily.

Here's a toast to Spring!! May it arrive safely, decisively and SOON!!!


------------------------------------------

At the risk of sounding like I'm bragging, my incredibly and outrageously talented daughter out-did herself tonight. Every few months, the teens in the church lead a night service. The hour-long service is kicked off by a performance by the teen choir, followed by a series of comical skits (usually containing a message) and solo performances by various individuals. While I recognize that I'm hardly in a position to be objective, I would argue that I was briefly a music major in college and I sing, so I do know what I'm talking about when I tell you that my daughter is on-par or better than anyone you've ever seen on "American Idol". She sang a song tonight called "Jesus, Take the Wheel." It's one of those country songs that tells a story (don't they all?) that brings tears to the eyes of really emotional people like me. In the song, a woman who has made a mess of her life, is driving home to her parents' house with her baby in the backseat. With 50 miles to go, she hits a sheet of black ice, sending her car into a spin. Both their lives pass before her eyes as she fears the worst. In utter desperation, she throws her hands up in the air and pleads for Jesus to take the wheel. It's a very moving song. I must admit that country music is hardly my favorite music genre (apologies to those of you who like it), but my daughter does a GREAT job with that sort of piece. Maybe it's all those years she lived in Tennessee. I wish you could have seen and heard her. I swear, she'd have taken your breath away!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kira said...

I'm not a fan of country music either, but I bet it still must have been great to hear your daughter sing. So, how does the song end? Does Jesus take the wheel? Don't make me listen to it unless she's singing it for me, ok? haha!

We had a nice spring day TODAY, but ironically it goes cold again TOMORROW. Sheesh.

11:14 PM

 
Blogger Peter said...

I loved it WW, just reading about it, I am a big country fan so that makes it better again.

2:08 AM

 
Blogger Peter said...

Re the Commonwealth Games, yes it is a big thing here, not quite the same magnitude as the Olympics in Sydney in 2000 but still big.
In Victoria,(Melbourne is the capital city of Vic.) they have extented daylight saving for an extra month to allow more coverage.
The schools have put their first term holidays forward a month to allow students, and their parents, to attend.
There are approx 200,00 overseas visitors expected to attend some part of the games and there is full time Television coverage, so yeah it's a fairly big deal.

8:16 AM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I believe you Whizzer. And not only that, country is my all-time, bestest favorite.

Way to be, daughter.

12:35 PM

 
Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

I love that song! I'm not quite a big fan of the girl (from American Idol) who sings it so I am sure I would adore your daughter's version. It is a very powerful song.

1:33 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

AH HAH! You know what's funny? Ask and you shall receive. Today at school, a group did a poetry project (and song lyrics count as poetry) wherein they used that song in their presentation. I now have the lyrics sheet to read. Wow, Big Ernie works fast!

3:35 PM

 
Blogger kenju said...

I have heard that song and I would love to hear your kid sing it. I'm not fond of most country music either, but that one is good.

5:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home