Pondering the complexities of life.

Thursday, March 2

The heart of a child

We moved into a house, next door to a vacant lot. One day a construction crew turned up to start building a house on the empty lot. My 8 year old son naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and spent much of each day observing the workers.

Eventually the construction crew, all of them gems-in-the-rough, more or less adopted him as a kind of project mascot. They chatted with him, let him sit with them while they had coffee and lunch breaks, and gave him little jobs to do here and there to make him feel important. At the end of the first week they even presented him with a pay envelope containing a couple of dollars. He took this home to me and I said all the appropriate words of admiration and suggested that they take the ten dollars "pay" he had received to the bank the next day to start a savings account.

When we got to the bank, the teller was equally impressed and asked him how he had come by his very own pay check at such a young age. He proudly replied, "I worked last week with the crew building the house next door to us."

"My goodness gracious," said the teller, "and will you be working on the house this week, too?"

He replied, "I will if those assholes at Home Depot ever deliver the fucking sheet rock..."

Kind of brings a tear to the eye.
-------------------------------------------------------

It seems I'm not the only one who has issues with Home Depot!!

We're buried in snow again! My daughter decided to take the bus over to her boyfriend's house following their weather-related early dismissal. After barely making it home on the snowy roads, had to go pick her up and get her home. What a night!! I hate winter!!


PS: Paul bought the 50" TV!!

6 Comments:

Blogger KateOnTheGo said...

he he he

11:37 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

Ahhh a TV to respect!

I've heard that joke before, and it makes me laugh every time I read it :) My kids don't need to make friends with construction people to learn such language. That's why I taught them that, like drinking, you have to be a certain age to curse. So far, it's worked. Haha!

5:56 AM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

The things a boy can learn on a construction site. How much did he wind up spending on chewing tobacco?

So, Paul, you have given up on the Corvette, eh?

11:41 AM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Not a chance, Gene!! That's the NEXT extravagant purchase!!! Eesh!!

4:43 PM

 
Blogger madameplushbottom said...

what a fabulous story! I found you through Peter or Marcus or Merle... one of the three.

Kids are precious.

7:37 AM

 
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Kids say the darndest things and repeat everything they hear. Your posts are very funny.*LOL*

11:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home