Pondering the complexities of life.

Thursday, May 24

Things are bad...

I still don't know what the army has in store for my son. After four years stationed in the US, he's been told he has to report to a base in Germany by July 10. His commanding officer has no information concerning his unit or assignment and my son is concerned that Germany may be only a stopping off point on the way to Iraq. He hopes to have more information by next week. However, each time he expects to receive more information, they tell him they still don't know anything more. I'm worried.

When my son finished high school, his father and I pushed him to DO something. Go to college or trade school, get a full-time job (with benefits), join the military... My son, never an enthusiastic student, was an easy target for the sweet-talking army recruiter and he signed up before reaching his 18th birthday. Up until now, it's been a good thing for him. But, if he's sent somewhere dangerous and is hurt or killed, I will never forgive myself for encouraging his decision to enlist.

Paul's company has provided him with regularly scheduled physicals and chest x-rays since his exposure to asbestos 20-25 years ago. Recent x-rays revealed two spots on his lungs. It will take further tests to determine for certain the origin of those spots...tests he will likely not get for another week or so. Health issues resulting from asbestos exposure generally show up 20-25 years later. That puts this ominous x-ray right on schedule. As far as I can tell, the spots can turn out to be nothing, or they can turn out to be cancer.


I'm 47-years-old and I've experienced a life-time of especially bad relationship choices. I tend to choose people who NEED me, or people who I view as better than me. Then I work to fill the need or to change myself to more adequately fill the role of whatever my boyfriend/husband considers his ideal. For the first time in my life, I'm involved with someone who really loves me...for me. He doesn't want me to take care of him. He doesn't want me to change. He just wants to make me happy. In the nearly two years we've been together, he's never stopped bringing me flowers, telling me he loves me, sending me sappy cards or calling me several times a day. I've never felt so happy, content and secure.

Paul's brother and sister both died young, from totally unrelated medical problems. He is his parents' only living child. How can God threaten to take him from them?

I can't even force myself to envision my life without Paul. I can't imagine how I could live without him.

I know I just started blogging again, but I'll probably be off-line for a while, until some of these issues are sorted out. Suddenly my financial instability seems like a minor problem. I'm in danger of losing two of the people I love most in the world. I'd gladly die to save either one of them, but I know I won't be given that choice.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kira said...

Paul is your Alex. All I have to do is visualize the word "Alex" for the word "Paul" in your post, and I immediately know your anxiety. I STILL wake up in the morning relieved that he's there and alive because I feel like somebody that good is a dream. He's got to be ok. In the end, he just has to be...and even if your son goes over to Iraq, maybe he'd be stationed like my friend Tess: in the embassy, where nothing bad really happens. I don't understand why so many bad things are happening to you in a row, so I'll just hope that all you're doing is getting the bad stuff over with so you can have a good rest of your life!!!

10:12 AM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

There are some people whose lives are a roller coaster of ups and downs. Then there are other people, like me, who just seem to stay on the same track with no real highs or lows. Either way, life can be a project at times.

Hope all goes well, though.

12:09 PM

 
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

If you hold your head up; your eyes up...

Comforting recommendation: Go get Ray Boltz's CD 'Concert of a Lifetime' and listen to "The Anchor Holds" over and over and over. It's a big help to me and My First Wife.

(Find it on-line or in a Christian book/music store.)

You're going be alright. We'll pray.

12:45 PM

 
Blogger TD said...

Sorry to hear that things aretough right now Whiz...though I was happy to find that you are back and that you seemed to get a chuckle from my post.

I tend to think of times like what you are going through as the gauntlet. Something to be gone through to grow.

Of course that may sound a little bit silly to someone whose son may be in danger and whose life is difficult at this time. Fuck that...right?

I've been through the wringer at times. If it weren't for the tough days, the good ones wouldn't be so sweet.

You, being a long time reader of my blog, know just how ireverant I can be. Paul (above) had a suggestion, and I am going to make another one. Though I don't necessarily believe that Jesus is magic (thank you Sarah Silverman), I would recommend reading the Book of Job.

It has nothing to do with employment(though it may seem like it might), is in the bible (which most people can find for free in their home by blowing off the dust from the copy their mother gave them) and has everything to do with getting through the tough days...even if you don't believe that God and the Devil make bets on people the way we do on the Preakness.

Good Wishes Whiz...keep blogging, I 'll keep reading.

4:16 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

KIRA: Well...at least Paul's surprise 50th birthday party went well today. He never suspected a thing. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay long because it was boring for a 13-year-old and I was testing the patience of my son.

DAVE: The only low really eating at me right now is Paul's x-ray. I can live without my savings, without my house, without my good credit rating...but I can't live without Paul.

11:01 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

PAUL: I'm very familiar with the song and with Ray Boltz. I especially like his song about the stones...do you know it? I think I have "The Anchor Holds" on a CD.

My daughter sang "Jesus, Take the Wheel" (Carrie Underwood) in church on Sunday. Made me cry like a baby.

BANDIT: (Does ANYONE else call you that??) I know the book of Job and have to admit I find it moderately disturbing. I prefer to stick with the new Testiment. I find it difficult to comprehend the cruelty depicted by the God of Abraham and Job.

11:01 PM

 
Blogger TD said...

Whiz- Nope, just you...but, if you checked out my myspace account, you would then get a chuckle.

I hear ya about ol' Yaweh. He was rough. Not a big bible reader myself, but Job is something else. Plus he gets bonus points for being mentioned in Mission Impossible.

I am sure Tom Cruise would tell us that your current issues are all the fault of the alien souls from another planet that we are all made of. Theta levels baby! It's all in the Thetas!

8:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WW, so sorry to hear that life is throwing so many curve balls your way right now. I hope that:

- the x-ray spots turn out to be nothing

- your son stays in Germany, not Iraq

- the dream job materializes very soon

- you find another dream that far surpasses the one that was sold.

Good luck. No matter what happens, you'll pull through.

9:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home