Pondering the complexities of life.

Tuesday, September 11

No arguments from me!

They say that women (and men) buy new underwear when having an affair.
When the relationship is more serious, do we shop for a new bed?

I still haven’t ordered mine yet. I’m waiting for the check from my home equity loan first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember the TV I bought in January 2006? I spent twice as much as I intended to because I was awed by the Toshiba wide-screen. What a great way to watch a movie!

My TV died. It’s been dead for over a month now. I just shut it off and ignored it at first, because I couldn’t deal with TV issues and computer issues at the same time. Once the computer was up and running, I addressed the issue with the television.

I live out in the middle of NOWHERE. There are not a lot of choices when it comes to television repair. I found a place nearby and Paul helped me drag the heavy set into the shop. They charged me $26.50 for an estimate, a fee that would be deducted from the final repair bill. I never got my estimate. I never got my $26.50 back. My television is still broken.

Apparently Toshiba televisions have a certain safety feature which causes the screen to display a plain green background when there is a problem with the picture. I’m told this is to avoid having an errant image burn itself into the screen. Only Toshiba authorized service people have the codes necessary to diagnose and unlock the green screen. I was not informed that my local television repair shop was not authorized to service a Toshiba. Without the codes, he was unable to fix it. I had to retrieve the television, take it to Paul’s and have Paul take it to a Toshiba authorized service center near his less-rural house. Knowing that the guy at the first shop TRIED to get the codes to fix the television, I felt guilty (call me a schmuck – I know I am!) to request my $26.50 back, even though he did NOT provide the estimate for which I was paying the fee. Paul would have gotten it back. Me…I’m too conflict-phobic to deal with situations like that. I cave before the other person utters a word. The mere thought of getting into a contentious discussion keeps me from opening my mouth. I just hate that about me!!

Turns out the picture tube is shot. The good news is that it is still under warranty. The bad news is that the warranty covers parts, not labor. It will still cost me about $125 bucks! (Not to mention that $26.50.)

In the meantime, I’ve hooked up the 13” TV/VCR combination my daughter and I shared as our only television for the first three years we lived in the house. It looks VERY small now.

5 Comments:

Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Boy, that IS tiny. I don't suppose you can even get a football game in there.

5:44 PM

 
Blogger kenju said...

You will be used to the little screen in no time at all! Anyway, it may make you watch less TV - so read a book!

5:41 AM

 
Blogger Kira said...

...I didn't even know anybody owned a 13" TV anymore ;) I'm just glad that Paul was around to help with the TV hauling to get it fixed. That'd have sucked to have had to do that on your own.

8:49 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Hoss: Yeah, but with the Patriots' latest scandal, who wants to watch football anyway?

Kenju: I don't watch much TV, which is why it took me so long to hook up the 13" after the bigger TV broke. Every so often, I want to turn on the weather channel, or have something on while I'm polishing my nails. That's when I miss it.

Hi, Kira! Haven't talked with you in AGES! I hope you, Alex and the kids are doing GREAT!

9:58 PM

 
Blogger Seeker said...

TV... bah humbug.
They get you coming and going.
(I'm here from Paul's hat blog. Nice pix of your kids.)

8:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home