Pondering the complexities of life.

Monday, September 26

Where has WordWhiz been??

It’s becoming undeniably clear that I have fallen off the deep end.

The Complimenting Complimenter is looking for blogs to visit and heap praise upon. I’ve always had a list to offer up for consideration. Tonight, I had only three. I can’t even keep up with my favorites, mucj less scout for new places to visit! And speaking of CC, last time I visited, readers were debating this blogger’s gender. Now we all know HE is a married male with a new female daughter. When did this happen?? Where have I been?

This is where I’ve been…when not in person, then at least in my mind. I’m hopelessly, disgustingly, sickeningly and wonderfully in love. Sorry Sandra, but when you get to be my age, the whole “bad boy” concept just doesn’t float your boat anymore. Neither does the over-confident, plays-hard-to-get, self-important guy who is (if the truth be known) far more interested in himself than he is in me.

I’m a pretty simple girl. I live in the country. I sing in my church choir. I’m not looking for a luxury lifestyle. It generally doesn’t take a guy to long to figure out that I’m a pretty low-maintenance girlfriend. I’m the kind of girl who’s really impressed the first time he opens the car door for me. After that, I feel badly that he’s walking ALL THE WAY around the car when he’s got keyless entry. “Just push the button. I can open my own door.”

If you want to wretch when my friend Kira blogs about Alex or when Hof and A* post nauseatingly sweet tributes to each other, then stop reading now.

I’m dating the most wonderful guy I have ever met. He treats me like I’m made of gold, no matter how much I protest that it is unnecessary. (Yes, I know I shouldn’t protest; it’s a reflex!) He leaves me sappy messages daily. He asked me today if I was sick of them. Sick of them?? Is he kidding??? I live for them!! He calls me every night. He brings flowers, plans dates based on what I like to do, makes me call when I get home from a date so he won’t worry about me, tells all his friends about me…in short, he always puts me first. I’m 45-years-old, and I’ve NEVER had anyone treat me with the sort of respect, admiration and love that Paul does. Yes, that’s me swooning over here.

I spent much of the past couple of years frequently feeling lonely and depressed. I suffered over a relationship I thought should have been perfect. He was “perfect” in a lot of ways. We had a ton of stuff in common. “On paper” we were the ideal match – the sort of people friends like to fix up. “I have the perfect guy for you!!” But, while he agreed that it should have been perfect, it just didn’t feel that way to him.

In retrospect, I wonder why I allowed myself to suffer so much over his on-again/off-again interest. I guess because I didn’t know what I was missing. I thought guys like Paul were merely figments of some romantic novelist’s outrageous imagination. No REAL guys act like that! I was wrong.

I’m now trying to convince my teenage daughter, who grew up with a father who is extremely self-centered, that guys like Paul DO exist and she should HOLD OUT for one! Her father is a decent guy, and we’re still friendly, but as two marriage counselors told me, “He’s a narcissist. He doesn’t mean to treat you like crap. He’s just too self-focused to even realize that he’s doing it. It simply doesn’t occur to him to consider your feelings.” I suspect that was intended to be helpful advice, although I’m not exactly sure how it was supposed to help.

I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out. There must be something negative in this situation somewhere, right??

Until I discover that down-side, if one does exist, I’m looking forward, with anxious and impatient anticipation, to our trip to New Hampshire on Sunday. THREE WHOLE DAYS…just the two of us…no kids, no work, no outside influences, no escape. Does he snore or hog the blankets? Will he run screaming when he sees what I look like first thing in the morning? Will we find ourselves craving some space as desperately as we’re now craving some privacy??

You’ll have to check next Wednesday’s post.

17 Comments:

Blogger Paige said...

Thanks for the comment. I know people are busy, you especially, but I'm glad you are happy!

11:44 PM

 
Blogger kenju said...

It is wonderful that you have found a prince charming; they do exist, as my daughter found out 2 years ago. I hope that you are still happy with him after your trip (and that he doesn't run screaming when viewing you in the early a.m.). I can't imagine that he will!

11:44 PM

 
Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

I hope it goes perfect.

5:20 AM

 
Blogger Bennu said...

Wordwhiz,

I see your comments on Fool's Gold often and had wondered where you had been. I am 42 and single and thinking those guys don't exist, so I am glad to hear they do and will hold out for one to find me.

Although I have to say, RockJock is one of those good guys, we just don't have any sparks between us.

I am thrilled for you.

6:35 AM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Paige: Thanks.

Kenju: I appreciate that and I'm happy for your daughter. Loved those Mom comments on your blog.

RJ: Thanks! You're a sweetie!

CC: Thank you and huge congrats on your new daughter!

Bennu: Kind and intriquing comment. I looked for your blog, but couldn't find it. Thanks for visiting.

6:39 AM

 
Blogger Monique said...

I'm so glad you are so happy! Guys like Paul really do exist. I know, because I have one too. After 11 years of marriage he still treats me like gold. "Bad boys" have their appeal, but NOTHING beats being treated with respect and never doubting that you are loved.

Enjoy your time in New Hampshire. I can't wait to read all the juicy details.

9:19 AM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Monique: You described that perfectly!! And I'm so glad you have a prince of your own!! How wonderful! Juicy details to follow next week.
:-)

9:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, the first weekend away... get up early and brush your teeth!

'nuff said

1:11 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Real Me: Oh yes...already thought of that. I have KILLER breath in the morning!! ICK!

2:14 PM

 
Blogger bornfool said...

Lots of these :) and a few of these ;) right at you.

2:55 PM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Listen, this is not throwing cold water, this is for you to know:

IF the bottom drops out, don't sweat it. Simply say to yourself, "Gee, I learned something." And keep smiling.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I am rooting like crazy for you and Paul. I don't even feel like I need to knock on wood.

Hugs to both.

3:13 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Lejnd: :-) ;-)
Back atcha!! (I wear my Kentucky Resort shirt to sleep every night!)

Snake: Aww...thanks. You are such a sweetheart!! I'm just crazy about you! :-)

3:44 PM

 
Blogger Blog ho said...

love > blogging

4:56 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Ho: Well put!!

5:07 PM

 
Blogger Mona said...

WW, I'm so tickled that you are so in love. Doesn't matter that he has keyless entry...that's a true sign of someone loving and caring about YOU. WOW. What a great guy. As for the narcissist comments, yeah, those are hard to put somewhere, I agree. But now, look at who you have. You have exactly who you deserve :) Congratulations.

Speaking of falling off the face of the earth...I DID. I'm so glad to be back!

7:32 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

Look, after patiently pointing out that Alex is wonderful and if he existed, there's more, I'm BEYOND DELIGHTED that you found one!!!

I never tire of hearing how happy you are, dear. Two years later (well, if you ask Alex, he counts from the day we met so three years), he's even MORE wonderful (and still opening up all doors, kissing my hand, taking my coat, flowers, chocolates, massages, love notes, etc.).

Once things go even further with Paul, have him train your daughter himself. What do I mean by that? Well, Alex does this...haha! When he brings me flowers, I've heard him lean over to Ari and whisper, "You are worth flowers too. If your boyfriend one day doesn't give you flowers, he does not deserve you." Or, when he opens up doors for her (which he does every time like he does for me...she waits for him to open up the car door for her!), he reminds her, "Now, remember, real gentlemen open up car doors, so if he does not open up doors for you, he is not worthy of you." Wash, rinse, repeat! Seriously, it has worked...

Ariana has told me herself that one day, she will marry a nice guy LIKE ALEX, not like her dad. She told me she has a crush on a little boy in her class because....he reminds her of Alex because he's so nice! I asked, what do you mean? What does he do that's so nice? My seven year old replied, "He reads to me!"

Awwwww!

So, yeah! Have Paul train her! haha!

7:50 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Mona: I'm glad to see you back too. Guess we've both been a bit AOL lately!! Thanks for the nice words. You've always been so encouraging to me.

Kira: My friend...you were SO RIGHT! Why didn't I listen to you sooner? I just got home from a date with my sweetie. He gave me a card to give to my son on Saturday, which is my son's 12th birthday. Paul hasn't even met "Packman".

**SIDE NOTE: SUNDAY IS HOSS'S BIRTHDAY. EVERYBODY REMEMBER TO WISH HIM HAPPY THAT DAY!

Funny as it sounds, it's a little weird trying to get used to this pampering thing. Not that I'm complaining!! It's just highly unusual for me and I'm never quite sure how to respond to it. I love it and it makes me a little uncomfortable at the same time. Does that make sense?? I know, I'm strange!! I didn't have Alex to train me when I was little and now I'm suffering from that lapse in my up-bringing!

Maggie: You're such a sweetie. Actually, Paul said that his 20-year-old son gave him the equivalent of the: "If you can't be good, be careful" lecture tonight, in anticipation of our New Hampshire trip. When he told me about it, I actually BLUSHED! It's very weird having adult-aged kids involved in my love life. One more thing to figure out how to deal with!!

HE'S SO AWESOME!!!

10:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home