Pondering the complexities of life.

Wednesday, March 22

Lives Cut Short, Continued

Seems LB had her bail revoked, the result of violating her probation on the February 2005 drug charge. She will be locked up at least until her April 3 hearing. It's just mind-numbing.

I've stayed close friends with another former co-worker from the days when I worked with LB. Mac went to work for a company that does business with my company, so we still see each other pretty regularly. He's the friend I called yesterday, before I knew the LB on the news was the LB we knew. Mac called me this afternoon and said that he couldn't stop thinking about it. He was driving his wife crazy because it was all he could talk about. Just over a year ago, we all got together to reminisce about old times. At the end of the night, I followed LB across the street to the gas station to help her pump gas. Believe it or not, she'd never used a self serve station before! Driving home that night, none of us would have ever predicted that 14 months later, LB would be in prison.

Mac has been known to drink a few too many himself, but he's more careful about drinking when he has to drive. We both agreed that we were not always so careful. In our younger days, when we were idealistic and STUPID, we tended to take chances. We're older and wiser (or at least more paranoid) now. This too-close-to-home tragedy illustrates why it's NEVER okay to take a risk. You never know when driving impaired "just one time" because "I'm only going a couple of miles" could destroy the rest of your life...and the lives of others. It's a very sobering (pun intended) thought.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kira said...

Well, some people just never get it. My ex always thought God gave him a special pass so that he would never have a drunk driving issue...he also thought he'd never get caught for his illegal habits. It's the teenager mentality: it won't happen to me. However, now that he's fearful of having his reinstated law license taken away again, he has stopped the drunk driving. Thankfully. He STILL believes he has some special gift that allows him to drive just as well sober as drunk. Sheesh!

4:18 AM

 
Blogger bornfool said...

I think Kira's right. It is the teenager mentality of invincibility. Too often it lasts well beyond the teen years.

8:54 AM

 
Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

I've known too many people who have thought they could drive okay when they've been drinking. They have ended up hurting themselves and others more times than I like to recount. I am always firm when with them, but I'm not always there unfortunately.

11:53 AM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

Compelling story. I have a prediction, however, that may run contrary to your's. Your friend will see freedom again, and possibly surprisingly soon. Manslaughter rarely carries the long sentences that homicide does, and after time off for good behavior, time served, overcrowding, whatever--my guess is she'll spend less than ten years in prison.

12:10 PM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Put it behind you, Whizzer. Think pleasant thoughts...

7:18 PM

 
Blogger Peter said...

Hoss is right (as usual) WW, life must go on, it's a truly sad tale in so many ways but no ammount of remorse will change it.

8:16 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Hoss & Peter: You're both right. I can't even explain exactly how I feel about the whole thing. Freaked out says it best. I told my son about it tonight and he asked if I had a photo of LB. I went to grab a photo album and realized I have a group shot of all the old co-workers hanging on my bedroom wall. Kind of creepy, huh?

9:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home