Pondering the complexities of life.

Monday, March 20

Lives Cut Short

I’m not an outspoken person. I’m the sort who weighs my words for fear of offending someone. I don’t want to make anyone angry. I don’t want to risk having people dislike me.

Over the years, I’ve had a number of friends who were very outspoken. A person willing to speak her mind, to defend her position without backing down and to let loose with the occasional curse or piece of clearly offensive humor, garnishes a certain amount of respect from a retreating personality like me.

Before I began work at my current job a little over five years ago, I worked for a small printing firm. With fewer than a dozen employees, we became a tight-knit group. We developed inside jokes. We socialized away from work. We visited each other’s homes. We celebrated each other’s successes. We mourned each other’s losses.

During those years, my closest friend was LB. LB and I were very different and perhaps we were drawn to each other for exactly that reason. Or perhaps it was nothing more than the fact that we spent 8-10 hours a day in each other’s company. LB was one of those outspoken people. She said what she thought without consideration to what those within earshot might think. LB liked to hang out at biker bars and date guys who wore leather, turquoise jewelry and tattoos. LB was a bookkeeper and she was excellent at her job. She had a head for numbers and, not being the emotionally soft, fearful to offend, mush pot that I am, she didn’t mind calling those past due accounts to pressure them to pay up. I liked LB. Even after I left the company, we continued to stay in touch and get together with her after work.

After a while, living in different states and no longer working at the same place, we stopped socializing. The last time I saw LB was just last year, in January 2005. The printing company where we’d worked had gone out of business. Always the party planner, I decided to organize a reunion of former employees of the company. We met at a restaurant down the street from our old workplace. It was a fun night.

I emailed with LB for a short time after the reunion, but we eventually fell out of touch and I probably haven’t heard from her in a year.

I was driving to work this morning, only half listening to the news on the radio. They were talking about a hit and run which happened over the weekend. Several friends had just returned from a St. Patrick’s Day celebration on Saturday night. They were standing in the front yard of one of the group members, chatting before heading back to their respective homes. A car sailed across the center line and plowed into the group. Two people were killed; the others were injured. The car drove on.

The newsman on the radio was announcing that the hit and run driver had been found and arrested and was due in court at 10:00 this morning. He identified the name, age and home town of that hit and run driver. All the pieces fit, however the last name is common in this area. Surely it was a coincidence and my outspoken, wise-cracking friend would be having a great time fielding the curious phone calls today. I made a mental note to check the story on-line when I arrived at work, but the day was busy and I forgot.

Something made me remember it around 3:00 this afternoon and I called a friend and former co-worker from the print shop. “Did you hear that story about the hit-and-run driver?” I asked.

“Yeah," he said. "I saw the story in yesterday’s paper.”

“You don’t think that was our LB, do you?” I asked.

He paused and told me there had been a photo of the woman arrested in yesterday’s paper. I keyed in the website to the local newspaper, expecting to have to drill through the archives for yesterday’s write-up. Instead, there was her photo on the cover page.

It said she was on probation for a 2005 drug possession charge. What drugs? LB was a drinker and a partier, but I’d never seen her do any sort of drugs. She didn’t even smoke cigarettes. The article painted a very unflattering image. I'll make no excuses for her. I hold one of those public opinions that is thoroughly disgusted by what she did. She drove into a group of people, killing and severely injuring them, and then drove home and went to bed.

But I looked at the photo and remembered that she’d been to my house. We talked girl talk and shared secrets. We were very different people, but we’d shared a lot of moments together. We’d been close friends once.

LB will likely never see freedom again. She’s never been married. She’s never had children. She’s still in her 30s, but her life is essentially over.

At the risk of sounding like a public service announcement, think about that before you get into a car after you’ve downed a few too many.

9 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

A goog post WW, a sad tale though.
It takes only seconds and a bad decision or two to wreck a life or in this case several lives.

8:40 AM

 
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

An identical thing happened in The Big City near here on St. Pat's night. Driver was a male. The parents, the siblings, the friends of those who died...

Lemme ask you: why is society so harsh on people who smoke tobacco, but poo-poo heavy drinkers, abusive alcoholics, drunk drivers, Ted Kennedy's, and so forth?

I'm sorry for the pain you feel--and you should. You're brave to put up such a poigant post.

9:39 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

I'm sorry for you, your friend and all her other friends. It's amazing how something so preventable can affect so many other people.

9:43 AM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

I can't help feeling sorry for her also, but I feel more sorry for the friends and families of the two men she killed. One of them was an ex-marine and father of an 8-year-old daughter. I agree with Paul in that people tend to have a "there but for the grace of God go I" attitude when it comes to these alcohol-related accidents. I don't drive if I've been drinking and I don't drink if I have to drive. I have NO problem with drinking, but it does not give a person the right to behave in a manner that negatively impacts other people. The results of such poor judgement are not always as dire as they were in this case, but you never know. You just shouldn't take that chance. Admitting that you're in no condition to drive may injure your pride, but you'll quickly get over that. Not many of us could EVER get over knowing that we were responsible for abruptly ending someone else's life.

11:12 AM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Golly, Whizzer, that is not good. All things considered, I'd rather be you.

11:16 AM

 
Blogger Kira said...

What a sad tale!

I often wonder if folks who knew my ex thought much the same thing of him when his arrest hit the news. I mean, he was/is a fun guy and made lots of friends. However, I guess if those same folks LIVED with him for years like I did, they'd never wonder.

Sometimes what we put on in public is different from what we do at home...or around others who enable our bad habits.

12:49 PM

 
Blogger naughtygirl said...

wow..thats all i can say

6:53 PM

 
Blogger bornfool said...

Sad in so many ways. Beautifully written, though.

8:49 AM

 
Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

What an eye-opener. I am going to refer my friends to this post when they berate me for taking their keys from them after one too many.

11:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home