Pondering the complexities of life.

Monday, June 11

Workin' makes a person tired!

I started my temp job today. I tried to take a brain dump from someone who has been there for 11 years...all in one day. Impossible! I left at 5:00 with my brain swimming! One day at work and I'm absolutely exhausted! Perhaps this is one of those cases where one should be careful about what one wishes for??

Seriously, it is good to be back working and earning a much-needed income! The commute is long - about an hour and 15 minutes each way - but it's not a bad job. It's hourly and temporary, but they are still giving me benefits and paid holidays. Any time I take off will be without pay - naturally, I have earned no paid vacation or sick time - but I was really happy to learn today that I'll be paid for the two national holidays which fall during my three-month contract.

The company will allow me to take a few days off in July for a cruise I'd already booked last year. I had some use-them-or-lose-them credit card points which I put toward a four-day cruise with my 13-year-old son. At the end of July, we'll visit Key West, Florida and Calica, Mexico. I know, I know...I can't help myself. Cruising is an obsession!

I'll also be taking a couple of days in August for another trip to New Hampshire. I tried to discourage Paul from booking it because of my job situation, but it's become an anniversary tradition. We'll visit the same White Mountains resort for a third time, to celebrate our two year anniversary.

It's just a DATING anniversary. No ring.

I really want to thank everyone who has been so supportive and offered helpful suggestions of late. I've felt as though I was living under a dark cloud, being assaulted by one bad thing after another. I'd stopped answering the phone when friends called. I haven't been to church or choir practice in two weeks. I'd even stopped praying...except about Paul's condition. I just seemed to lose all my energy, motivation and ambition. I'm finally snapping out of it, mostly due to caring friends who refused to allow me to push them away. Thanks for your patience through my self-centered whining.

THANKS!!

8 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

I am glad to hear that the job will work out; who knows, maybe it will morph into something full-time and salaried, with benefits!

Also glad to hear that you are snapping out of it. Life goes on, and you should be living it to the full. (That's easy for me to say, right?)

2:02 PM

 
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Great news in every paragraph. You're a champ, m'delight!

6:02 PM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You're the best, Whizzer. Glad to see you working out of the doldrums.

7:24 PM

 
Blogger ... said...

Love ya Whizzer!

12:19 AM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

See, I knew things would turn around for ya.

Two years already? I still remember a blog you wrote back then when Paul was just the new guy on the block (you wrote about his dog, I think).

12:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it sounds like things are turning around for you. I really hope the job turns permanent!!

1:24 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Thanks to all. I'm surprised at how tiring I'm finding work after three months off. I think it may be in part because I'm not sleeping. A new job is challenging because everything is new and unfamiliar is difficult. I find it hard to shut off my brain at night. I'm sure that will pass as I get more settled.

Two Drink Girl emailed to say that I've been shirking my fireman responsibility. I tried to respond, but my computer is only about 65% functional right now. I'm waiting for my soldier to see if he can fix it. My apologies to anyone coming here looking for images of hunky heroes.

10:42 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

The nice thing about having a job, too, is that you don't have nearly as much time to brood over whatever else is going on in your life! I bet this'll lead to a full time job. I just know you're going to wow them.

5:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home