Pondering the complexities of life.

Saturday, March 25

Speeding Ticket

As I mentioned earlier, I got a speeding ticket this week. I was driving home after buying my first BRAND NEW car. I was excited and anxious to get home and tell someone my news. I'd gone straight to the dealership after work. It was about 9PM and I hadn't eaten dinner. I was just a few miles from home and I suppose I was in a hurry to get there. Then, I saw those flashing lights in my rear-view mirror - state trooper. Damn.

I pulled over and grabbed my license, registration and insurance card. I had them all handy, having just shown them to the dealer when I purchased the new vehicle. I tried to look in my side-view mirror, to see if the trooper was approaching the car, but he had the spotlight on the side of his car aimed directly into my side-view mirror, essentially blinding me. It seemed like an eternity before I finally heard his footsteps approaching my open window. He stopped about three feet back and asked for my paperwork. Thinking I'd be friendly and maybe get by with just a warning, I smiled and mentioned that I had all the documents handy, having just purchased my first brand new vehicle. His response: "Have you been drinking this evening?"

I wanted to ask him if they served alcohol at the dealership where he shops for cars. "Have a martini and go for a test drive!" Was he kidding me?? I don't think I completely stifled my laugh when I replied, "No."

He disappeared with my paperwork into his obnoxious vehicle with the flashing lights and the blinding spot light. I pulled my side-view mirror out of position to avoid the blinding light in my eyes. I began the ever-popular, "please-let-him-just-give-me-a-warning" prayer, but after he was gone for an unusually long amount of time, I switched over to the equally popular, "this-power-hungry-%$&@-creep-is..." tirade.

He returned to my car, again stopping three feet behind my window. Was he afraid of me?? Do I look dangerous? Did he think I was a drunken bimbo who was packing heat in my glove box? He reached over and handed me an envelope containing my $155 ticket, my license and my registration. He was probably only about 5'4" tall; it was a stretch from that distance. Using his uniform and position to compensate perhaps??

Just venting. I feel better now.

11 Comments:

Blogger poopie said...

The little man syndrome, no doubt.

1:22 PM

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Well, geez, the guy has to make wages.

(Tough luck, Whizzer.)

2:31 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

I guess you just seem so damn threatening! The one time I received a speeding ticket in the last decade, the fellow did something similar with not coming near the window, mumbling, and refusing eye contact. My ticket was for over $150 too, but he told me if I just paid it off by X time at the town hall (small, small town) he'd make sure they cut it to half with no points on my license, etc. So, that's what I did. Still, I kept wondering why he never would make eye contact. What the hell?

4:38 PM

 
Blogger Monique said...

This is the THIRD blog I've read in the last hour about someone getting a speeding ticket. It's contagious!

11:53 PM

 
Blogger ... said...

Damn cops, I hate em!

9:15 PM

 
Blogger kenju said...

Ooops! Sorry about that!

12:22 AM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Uh oh, BF. I just deleted my first spam comment since removing the word verification. I hope it's not a trend!!

6:22 AM

 
Blogger bornfool said...

You want I should rough him up a little.

I got a piece of spam the other day, too. I just think ist's easier to delete the occasional comment than to deal with word verification. But that's just me.

8:45 AM

 
Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

Napoleon Complex...enough said!

11:42 AM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

I got my first speeding ticket ever this past fall. I believe that governmental entities are padding their bottom lines at the expense of the average joe.

5:45 PM

 
Blogger Kira said...

I'm with BF on the word verification thingy. It's just the most awful, frustrating, upsetting addition to a blog for people with any form of dyslexia. Trust me on this one...

Anyway, I only have to delete a couple of pieces of spam from time to time. It's not a big deal.

5:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home