Pondering the complexities of life.

Wednesday, August 23

Sheer terror

My oldest son arrived home on Sunday, on leave from the army for a week and a half. Yesterday was his 21st birthday, so I planned a party at Dave & Busters. He is hugely into video games and Dave & Busters is a combination restaurant/game arcade. There were nine of us there in all, including his sister (C), brother (PacMan) and his father (my ex).

After dinner, I stayed behind to settle the bill while the others went off to play games. I caught up with PacMan and his Dad at a boxing game. Between rounds, PacMan looked off to the side at a wall screens featuring race track images. It was over a set of virtual race cars. It became clear that PacMan (age 12) was zoning out and didn't hear us speaking. I touched his face, thinking he'd snap out of it. He didn't. His dad grabbed him from behind, attempting to turn him away from the screens that seemed to be mesmerizing him. PacMan's head flew back and he began to go into a seizure. His dad lowered him to the floor and I ran to the bar, screaming for an ambulance. I have no clear recollection of time. A nice man who came by to help - even stopping by the hospital later that night to check on PacMan's condition - told us that the seizure lasted about four minutes. My dog is epileptic, so I have witnessed seizures. It's far different when it's your child, rather than you pet. Also, my beagle has never once become unconscious following a seizure. PacMan was was completely out, pale with his mouth open. I thought he was going to die. I think at one point, I thought he was dead. I remember in my hysteria, someone taking my hand and pressing it to PacMan's chest saying, "Feel his heartbeat. He has a good strong heartbeat."

PacMan remained unconscious for 10-15 minutes, coming to just as the EMTs arrived. He was still groggy and not really responsive, but he showed some signs of being aware. He has no memory of any of this. A CAT scan revealed no brain injuries. He'll have to return to the hospital for a brain EEG. He's very afraid of it happening again. He slept in my room last night, afraid to be alone. I was glad. I'd have been up checking on him all night anyway. We're not sure what caused it and still face all sorts of tests, but the worst is over. I've never felt so afraid that one of my children was about to die. There's no describing that feeling of horror and helplessness. I never want to witness anything like that again!

10 Comments:

Blogger Kira said...

The one thing that I now remember too is that I read somewhere that for some people, flashing lights or images can sometimes trigger epileptic seizures. I wonder if that's it? Gosh, I'm just SO sorry that this happened! How scary!

8:48 PM

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

PacMan had told me a few months ago, after readng a book about epilepsy (ironic, huh?), that he suspected that he had petite mal seizures sometimes in the car. He said he'd be conversing with someone and blank out for a few seconds. I thought he was just becoming distracted. I told him it happened to everyone, but he said he didn't think that it was simply being distracted. I told him he should remember to mention it next time we saw the doctor. The comment took on significance in light of last night's events. When I questioned him about it today, he said it only happens on bright days, when driving under trees creates a strobe light effect in the car. Clearly it has something to do with light or movement and light. We'll find out at the EEG. They will introduce various light stimuli as they monitor his brain waves, to see what things cause changes.

9:18 PM

 
Blogger ... said...

Whizzer, that is terrible! At least the worst is over and you'll find out what it is and prevent it in the future! Chin up!

10:23 PM

 
Blogger kenju said...

Kira is right. Strobe lights do it and video games could very well do it too. I am sorry, and I hope you get to the bottom of it and get him on meds, if that is what he needs. I saw a seizure when I was in college, and it was so scary for me. Imagine how scary it is for the person having it.

12:19 AM

 
Blogger Big Dave T said...

I had a neurological test that involved flashing bright lights to see if I might seizure. Very intense. If Pac-man is prone to seizures, the tests should tell. But my mother has had one seizure in her whole life, much as you described this one. So you never know.

3:26 PM

 
Blogger Peter said...

What an awful experience WW, I trust everything will work out alright.

9:46 AM

 
Blogger Peter said...

What an awful experience WW, I trust everything will work out alright.

9:46 AM

 
Blogger Peter said...

What an awful experience WW, I trust everything will work out alright.

9:47 AM

 
Blogger Foilwoman said...

WW: You poor thing. That must have been terrifying. I hope everything works out.

10:55 PM

 
Anonymous Play Poker For Money said...

More precisely does not happen

8:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home